Monday, May 08, 2006

What Kind of Mom Am I?

I read on Cape Buffalo about an idea for a Mother's Day Collaboration, and I thought, I guess I could chip in on that. I don't want to write about my mom, because I just did on her birthday, and I've got another post in mind for Mother's Day itself, so for here and now, I'll write about my goals as a mother...the kind of mom I would like to be.

I want to be the kind of mom who supports her child no matter what. I want Maya to never doubt for a second that I believe in her, that I love her unconditionally, and that she will always be my baby.

I want to be the kind of mom who is willing to let her take chances...I want her to know that she is strong and capable, and that failure is always an option. You don't get anywhere without trying, without taking chances, and I will always be there, rooting her on.

I want to be the kind of mom who listens...terrible things will happen in her life, because they happen in everyone's life, and I want her to know that no matter how horrible these things are, she can come and talk to me about it. Not only am I willing to listen, I WANT to hear about it. I want to hear about her hopes and dreams, her fears and conquests, her hurts and triumphs. If someone hurts her, I want her to feel safe telling me, that I can stand it. That I want to help her through this life we are living.

I want to be the kind of mom who models a good life. I have already started by choosing such a wonderful man to be my husband. I hope she finds one just as wonderful. I hope that if she makes a mistake and picks a serious dud, she will know that it's ok to move on. I hope that she will be able to determine the difference between a dud and a rough patch with the right person. I want her to take good care of her body, so it will be able to take good care of her. I want her to take care of her mind, for the same reason. I want her to keep her wonderful sense of humor and her ability to find beauty in the world, and in this vein, I will try to live that kind of life myself.

I want to be the kind of mom who supports her decisions regarding school, marriage, and careers. I want to be able to help her with these decisions and with these choices, and I want to be able to butt out when she wants me to. I want to help her care for her children while she goes to work, if she chooses to, or has to. I want to help her care for her children if she chooses to stay home with them. If I am too far away to help, I want to be the kind of mom who is involved in their lives via whatever electronic devices they have by that time... (maybe a transporter?) ;)

I want to be the kind of mom that is healthy and alive until we are both very old, so she won't have to feel lonely without me. I think life is hard without your parents there to guide you, and be a compass for you, and I want to be there for her.

I want to be the kind of mom who is also a wonderful Grandma. But not too soon. ;)

I'm sure I'll think of 10 more things I want to do, and be, as a mom. Mostly, I want to be Maya's mom, and I'm so very thankful that I have gotten the chance.

No comments: