Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I've got a bad feeling about this...

I'm at the point in my book where they are in the trial, and the woman has taken the stand against her supposed attacker...and as I was drifting off to sleep last night, the thought occurred to me...I'll bet he's innocent...I'll bet they're going to find him innocent...and he'll get strung up just the same. Damn it. I may be wrong, and I hope I am, but the whole thing about killing a mockingbird being a sin, because they're innocent? I think I just got it.

Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong. And I gotta say, this book is WAY more interesting than American Idol. ;)

Best quote so far:
"I had received the impression that Fine Folks were people who did the best they could with the sense they had."

First runner up, from the witness stand:
"Are you the father of Mayella Ewell?"
"Well, if I ain't I can't do nothing about it now, her ma's dead."

Update: Read some while giving blood. I was wrong. Stupid jury. I don't know what I was thinking, that he would get off (at least legally, I still think he'll be dead by the end of the book), just because everyone there knew he didn't committ the crime. Stupid racist country. Ugh.

Last Update: I finished the book last night while taping Lost (it's just too late for our early to rise habits around here, so we tape it)...dang it all. But wow, REALLY good book. So many people told me to see the movie, so it's now on the top of our Netflix list, and will come very soon. :) Thanks for the suggestions! I just got the book, "In Cold Blood" too. Since the movie "Capote" was what got me started reading this book, I figure I should read that next. :)

No comments: