Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Your Epidermis is Showing...


My friend NYJ (That's New York J, as opposed to me, CAJ, for California J) is addicted to this procedure called Microdermabrasion. She says they basically sand blast your face to get the dead skin and stuff off, and your skin is SO much softer and absorbs moisturizer much better. The process is performed at a spa, and supposedly makes a world of difference, which is why the full series is worth the approx. $1,000 you pay. I've seen pictures on the web, before and after type photos, and yeah, it looks amazing. But I saw NYJ recently, and she looks the same as she did the last time I saw her. Which is gorgeous. NYJ is always gorgeous, so I don't know if this stuff makes a difference or not. So, I thought, time seems to be taking a bit of a walk across my face lately, and my skin isn't what it used to be, so I thought I'd give one of these cheepo home kits a try. I could have gotten something in between, like a department store brand (Lancome or Estee Lauder come to mind), but those would have set me back some semi-serious dollars, and I'm just too cheap for that. So I went for the drug store version. Now, they say right on the package that the results will not be the same as a professional treatment. That's OK, I don't expect a $25 home kit to work as well as a $1,000 professional treatment, any more than I expect an $8 bottle of hair color to look like I had it done at the salon. So, I bought some Olay Regenerist on Friday. Tried it on Friday night, and again this morning. Know what? My skin feels pretty good! Really soft, really nice. Do I notice a difference in how it looks? Not yet. I did get a zit on Friday, which may or may not have been related to the sandblasting of my face. They say that it takes a week or two to really see the difference, which is also what they say about the professional treatments. I'll keep you updated.

6 comments:

kris said...

I love that you are doing this. I pass this stuff all the time and am too afraid to try it. Thank you for being the guinea pig for women everywhere! I hope it works! :) I LOVE CHEAP STUFF!

Lotus Reads said...

Ohhh, yes, please let us know how it goes. I've had okay skin all my life, but this past year I can't help but feel my skin could use a little help!

BTW, I followed you from the Hello, Melissa blog. You have some great posts; I will visit again!

Autumn's Mom said...

I too am afraid of these products. Did you take a before picture so we can really see a difference?? Hahaha I'm not asking you to post them :)

Smoothieshake said...

hey! i read your post on lotus reads, and i have to say i think the 100 list about "me" is a great idea! i might have to do the same on my blog sometime soon:) Also, I haven't tried this stuff, but is this the same as a 'chemical peel'? I know someone who had that done and her face looked exactly like what i would expect a chemical peel to look like...just raw and burned and peeled!! haha:)

Anonymous said...

The best results I have ever gotten, if I could only remember to do it, is to scrub with barely dampened raw oatmeal and follow with a cocoa nut butter cream. I did this on a place on the back of my hand which had been like a permanant scab for over ten years and two doctors had told me was just an age change and would never go back and now it is back to normal skin. It is just so hard to remember to take care of my skin.

Jessica said...

Do let us know how it goes...I'm always interested in this stuff.