Monday, March 13, 2006

The Idiot Box


This was a weekend made up largely of watching TV. My plans with my friend had changed, my back was tentative, and for once, no birthdays or dinners to attend. I suppose we could have started getting my 'home office' ready for when I start working from home, but I wasn't so interested in that. I think I'd prefer to do that on 'work time' rather than 'my time', if you know what I mean.

So, on Saturday I watched Battlestar Galactica on the computer (downloaded from iTunes, since Comcast doesn't give us Sci Fi channel unless we pay more $$$). Like I said on Saturday, that's a darned good show. I'm not as in to it as Ted and Maya are, but I must admit, it was upsetting to see the finale, and to know that there are no new episodes until October. Sigh.

We also watched "Black. White." this last week. Did anyone see that? It's pretty interesting, but I have to admit that the white dad that's going black reminds me of Larry David, from Curb Your Enthusiasm. You can pretty much count on him to say or do something stupid. Maybe it's too soon to say that, but I just know he's gonna be causing some problems. He's just WAITING for some white person to call him the 'N' word, and he won't believe that racism exists until it happens. And even then, the whole reason that he wants it to happen is so he can show all of those paranoid black people how easy it is to diffuse a situation, if you just stay calm and rational, like him. Like a white man. Nice.

Yesterday, we ended up watching a REALLY LAME movie called "The Core", about a group of scientists who have to take a specially built 'ship' down into the core of the Earth and detonate nuclear bombs in order to start the Earth rotating on its axis once more...now, cheeseball End of the World movies can be fun, but I kind of wished they had put a bit more money into the script. I hate when all that the top scientist has to say about a situation is, "This doesn't look good". Yeah. OK. Plus, I'm 99.9% sure I saw a common grammatical error flash up on the screen. At the end of the film, one of the brilliant yet ignored scientists who stayed on the 'crust' was running a program on his computer, and the screen popped up a message of "On it's way". Sorry idiot, but I remember a class I took once where the professor said if we used "it's" when we meant "its", we would have an "F" on that paper. I know it's a common mistake, because English is a strange language, and I know that my spelling skills are such that I shouldn't be throwing stones at glass houses, but I would HOPE that someone who worked there would know enough and maybe tell someone while they're at it.

Then we watched West Wing. Two things I have to say about that. Why do they have such long breaks between new episodes? I know, it's NBC, and the Olympics DID get in the way there, but it's enough to drive a person crazy. They're as bad as Lost. I didn't remember who half of the people were. I think this show was much better two or three years ago. Now they're just trying to hold on for these last few episodes, and it kind of shows. If they pulled a Thirtysomething on us and just pulled it from the air, without letting us see the rest of the season, I can honestly say I wouldn't care. Would anyone?

Last...did anyone see the new polygamy drama on HBO, Big Love? We don't have HBO, so we couldn't watch it. And iTunes doesn't have it, so we can't download it. So I guess we'll be waiting for it to come out on DVD, so we can NetFlix it. I mean, we COULD ask someone with HBO to tape it for us, but really, on a weekly basis, that's a pain in the butt. So, anyone see it? Is it any good?

Really last...forgot to tape "Grey's Anatomy" AGAIN. We have yet to watch this show, and everyone talks about how good it is. My question: should we tape it and start watching now, or wait until we get caught up via NetFlix/DVD, and start watching then?

OK, that's my boob tube report. A weekend wasted. My back thanks me. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ON the G.A. front, I watched a few current episodes but then went out and bought Season One's DVD - now i've still missed like 7 or 8 eps from the beginning of Season 2 but you know enough to go with it - it is definitely worth getting Season 1 on Netflix if you can..