Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Happy International Women's Day!

I just found out here that today is International Womens Day. I also found out that some of my friends count on me to keep them up to date on the weighty issues of the day, issues that do not involve cheerleaders or their injuries. To bring the two together, allow me to point you to a column by the always brilliant Molly Ivins, in which she discusses the abismal abortion situation in the 'great' state of South Dakota. Lest you feel that South Dakota is alone in their goal of outlawing abortion, similar laws are being considered publicly in both Missouri and Mississippi.

For more reading about International Women's Day, check out this column about women and the environment, from today's SF Chronicle.

Happy Day, Sisters!

8 comments:

Cherry said...

Thanks Julie!

J said...

You're welcome. Glad I can help out once in awhile. ;)

Cherry said...

OH MY GOD!
I just read that article.

Who wants to live in a world moving FORWARD, when we have men that can take us back?

You know, forget contraception, forget tampons for that matter, let's send all the women to the "Red Tent" again and make it ok to beat the wives if they do not obey thier husbands.

J said...

Ugh. I know. Sigh. Though the red tent idea did sound kind of nice in the book...get away from the work and the kids and be all nice to each other. Woman power!

Autumn's Mom said...

I hate the thought of a MAN forcing me into becoming a FEMINIST so that I can have an equal say as a human being. I don't know why I have a problem with that word (feminist), but I do. Oprah said recently, when women band together we can change a nation. It's time to band together sisters.

J said...

I think feminist means a lot of different things to a lot of people, and some of it is things that make a lot of people uncomfortable. To me, it means that women have the same rights as men. Not more, not less. Period.

Anonymous said...

on a pragmatic note, why is this holiday not noted on any of my calendars? why must we stumble upon this day by accident?

just wondering.

J said...

Ally Bean, I was wondering the same thing!