Friday, June 23, 2006

Resistance Is Futile

Now that I'm working from home, phone calls have been coming to my home phone, which I don't really like. Sometimes someone else wants to use the phone, or if it's during work hours, Ted and Maya feel funny answering it.
Options:
1. A second phone line.
2. Vonage.
3. A cell phone.

Let's look at these, one at a time.
1. I don't really have a big problem with a second phone line, but I'm not sure of the intricasies of having one for work, and having maybe a different calling plan than our regular phone. Our regular phone has no special provisions for long distance during the week, and a LOT of my coworkers are long distance. SO...this could probably work, but I was too lazy to figure it out.

2. We were all supposed to sign up for Vonage, but I have to tell you that so far I am not impressed with it. It is very affordable, but the quality is very inconsistant. I was on the phone with my coworker the other day, for about an hour and a half. The sound cut out on his Vonage three or four times, and I couldn't hear him at all. He could hear me, but I couldn't hear him. Some other employees have it, and their voices are always all garbled. Others don't have a problem at all.

3. The dreaded cell phone. My main problems with cell phones are that they drop calls, or garble, and that I would rather spend the money on a cute new top or some nice wine. The reception here at home is pretty good, though, so that shouldn't be TOO much of a problem, and if the company is going to pay for it, that's another huge plus. The other thing is that with me working from home now, I start earlier in the day, but I'm in and out of the house more often. Not quite so tied to my desk. This has proven frustrating to both Ted and a coworker or two, so me having a cell phone is finally starting to make more sense than me not having one. Sigh.

So, during my lunch hour yesterday, I went and got a cell phone. Guess I'm a member of the 21st century now, huh?

And seriously, tell me, doesn't Picard LOOK like he's got a blue tooth? ;)

No comments: