Sunday, April 30, 2006

Misc. Weekend Thoughts


It's Sunday evening, downright balmy (almost 90 degrees) here, and we just finished dinner. Ted made cheese tortellini with a tomato sauce, and salad with lettuce, spinach, and pears. Mmmm. So, here's a sort of weekend wrap up, mixed with a couple of thankfulnesses, and so on.

On Friday, we went to our Parent Teacher conference at Maya's school. The news is that she is a very good student, works hard, no problems. Good at math, good at science, good at reading, good at writing. I'm thankful for that. We know several people whose children have trouble with one subject or another, or many. Or behavioral problems, which Maya also does not have. So we are very fortunate in that way. Then, since Maya was at her best friend's house having fun getting dirty in a creek, we went to see a movie Ted wanted to see. He was in gymnastics back in jr. high and part of high school, so he wanted to go see "Stick It". It was funny and pretty good. Then we went to pick up Maya, and then to McDonald's for dinner. Ted and I had their new 'Asian Salad', which was suprisingly good. Maya had the fruit & yogurt salad, which was fresh and crispy. She liked it, though she wanted a milkshake, and didn't get one. We're not usually McDonald's people, but we both wanted a salad, and Ted had tried the Asian one at work that week, and this is the McDonalds that he went to when he was a little boy, and they may tear it down soon, so we made an exception.

Saturday, we went to Stockton to visit my Grandma (the one with the coat), and my two great aunts. I am thankful to have them in my life, and that Maya gets to know her great grandma at least a little bit. I knew my Great Grandma...she didn't die until I was 21, and I loved her a lot. Nice for Maya to have some of that. Driving out to Stockton, we were passing through all of the fields and pretty orchards...part of me misses that, that flat scenery, stretching out in all directions. It's built up a lot since I lived in the valley, but there are still fields and horses and cows to be seen. I'm thankful for that. But Stockton. If you ever find yourself in Stockton, CA, I have two things to say to you.
1. I'm sorry. Very.
2. Hie thee to Manny's California Fresh for some lunch! Pronto!

My favorite thing on the menu is the avocado burger, which is thick and juicy and lovely bread and nice nice nice. Their meat is pretty top quality, grass and grain fed, nice stuff. But they also have a pretty good selection of other things, especially for a burger place. They have rotisserie chicken, a lot of different sandwiches, they serve deep fried oyster sandwiches, a croissant stuffed with various veggies, a big artichoke, and a couple of salads. Also Portugese beans, which makes me think that whomever Manny was that started the place 49 years ago, was probably from Portugal. When I lived in Stockton, it was just Manny's. I'm not sure when they added the 'California Fresh'. Anyway, as Alton Brown would say, it's GOOD EATS. :) After that, we went to look at UOP (University of the Pacific), which is a very pretty college, and made Ted think, hmm...I should apply to work here...which made me say, um, who are you going to live with? Because HELLO, STOCKTON? Not so much. By the way, UOP has a beautiful chapel in which to get married, and I don't recommend it...I know of three weddings that have taken place there, and all ended in divorce. So don't get married in Stockton.

Ted went to Rocklin, CA last night to see his co-worker, John, play in a band. Maya and I did a bit of birthday shopping for Ted (shhh...), then we had dinner and did some bookstore shopping downtown. Then for a trip to Target. Then home. Maya did some stuff downstairs, and I got into my jammies and had some wine and read my book. Sometimes I really love the alone time, so I'm thankful for that. I was reading, "The Time Traveler's Wife", and as the title suggests, he travels through time, and she's his wife. Well, there was one thing that struck me last night, because he was off time travelling, and she was enjoying her alone time.

The quote said:
"Sometimes I am glad when Henry's gone, but I'm always glad when he comes back."
Exaclty.

Today we slept really late, and I went and got a pedicure and a manicure. I feel ready for summer now. :) I'm thankful for that..it was very relaxing and felt lovely. Came home, relaxed, finished my book. Wow, what a good book. If you haven't read it yet, I'm recommending that you do. You know, if you're a reader. Maybe if you have a commute and are looking for things to read on the way to/from work or something.

Tomorrow is back to work, blah blah blah. Oh well. It was a lovely weekend while it lasted, and I'm thankful for it.

No comments: